Monday, October 18, 2010

Chef's Favorites: Childhood Foods

For the final chapter in Chef's Favorites, we ask our culinary team the evocative question: What food most brings you back to your childhood and why?

Chef Kevin:
Egg and Cheese on a fresh baked roll ( It's a Jersey thing).
 Chef Bryan
Grits, This was a Sunday  morning tradition at my house. sometimes they had bacon, other times cheese, but always in one form or another.

Chef Ingreth:
Mashed Potatoes with ground meat, my mother prepares it like nobody else.

Chef David:
Tinfoil wrapped dinners.  This consists of ground beef, onions, carrots, and potatoes heavily seasoned, then wrapped in foil. The foil wrapped food is then tossed onto the hot coals to cook for about 30 minutes. A must-have for camping, something we did often growing up in the Rocky Mountains.

Chef Michael:
Scots Broth (Lamb) (in pressure cooker) cooked by my mother.

Chef Jenny:
I always seem to make a version of Bibim Bop once a week mainly for my son which is a Korean
rice dish traditionally made with rice, bulgogi beef, mushrooms, spinach, bok choy and flavored with a red bean paste, sesame oil and soy sauce topped with a fried egg.  I make variations of this depending on what leftovers I have.  This dish particularly reminds me of my Korean roots.

Chef Sarah:
 I think Autumn comfort foods, like apple pie, cold and mulled cider, candy apples.... I am biased but you can't beat upstate NY for that stuff.


Chef Florian:
Pancake with wild cranberries marmalade.
When I was a child and came back from school I smelt the pancake made by my
mother.  The great smell from brown butter, caramelized sugar, a little vanilla andthe fruity note from the cranberries, flavored with cinnamon was really a big treat for me. At that time I did not realize that the flavor pairing with sweet from the pancake and sour from the cranberries fits so well.
http://www.foodpairing.be/

No comments:

Post a Comment